Friday, February 11, 2011

One Fish, Two Fish

More baking adventures today!  It's really hard to get anything else done when you have to cook this much...but...luckily I love cooking and my family loves the results.  Today, I attempted cheese crackers for the second time.  I was also armed with a perfectly cute, teeny-weeny goldfish cookie cutter!!  So precious!  Now my little one can be just like everyone else, with little fishy crackers.  Boy was she excited! "Mama, you make goldfish crackers for me?!" she said over and over with squeals of joy.  She also enjoyed "helping" me make them (all you moms out there know that when a 2 year old helps, they tend to do just the opposite lol!).

4 ounces Cheddar Cheese (I've heard Daiya cheese is great too!)
3 Tbs. Butter, softened (or your preferred substitute if dairy-free)
2/3 cup Rice Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Xanthan Gum (use 3/4 tsp. guar gum for corn-free)
1/2 tsp Corn-Free Baking Powder (I used less than a 1/4 tsp baking soda with the rest cream of tartar)
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
3 Tbs. Milk (or dairy-free substitute)

  1. Preheat oven to 400 F.  I use a baking stone, but if you use a metal pan be sure to grease it.
  2. Mix all ingredients together except milk in mixing bowl with electric mixer (I use a countertop Kitchenaid) until crumby, then add milk.
  3. Flour your smooth surface, and roll dough 1/8 inch thick (I just got these great rings for my rolling pin to make even dough!) and use teeny goldfish cutter until you use all the dough up!
  4. Sprinkle with salt if desired, and cook about 10 minutes until getting golden brown on top.  Err on the side of overcooking, or they will not have the crisp of a cracker.
  5. Serve to smiling little people!


Oh and hey, our kids can have fun too!  Next time I'm going to make some with natural dyes so we can have rainbow fish, too, without all the yucky stuff!

No comments: