Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Lot Can Happen in 30 Days

At the beginning of this year I decided my resolution was to get back into shape.  After 3 babies and our last move (during which I somehow gained almost 10lbs) and the food allergy baking (because, of course, how do you know if things are coming out good if you don't eat half the batch taste them along the way?), I needed to do something.  My ab muscles were, uh, missing.  My rear end had gone south.  I wasn't totally sure how I was going to accomplish this until one of the shopping blogs I subscribe to posted a link to Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.  It was only $7.99.  I read the reviews, and was completely intrigued.  I saw before and after photos on blogs and was blown away.  Could that really happen in only 30 days????


So I ordered it and set forth on my journey.  It was a tough workout, but the kind of tough that makes you feel awesome about yourself for getting through afterward.  Sure, it was hard to walk up the stairs sometimes, but as I started to see things like calf muscles starting to cut through, I was motivated.  I have been sore in one capacity or another for 30 days...but I like it!  I was truly determined.  I did the workout each and every day for 30 days straight, even if it meant working out at 10pm when  everyone was finally asleep and the kitchen was picked up.  I had to do this, for myself, for once.

And it was worth it.  I know I posted my clothed photos on Facebook, but it seems I've motivated so many of my friends to try it today, I thought I'd just go all out and put myself fully out there.  If I can inspire a few of my friends to get healthy, it will be worth it!

I was totally out of shape for me when I started.  My before photo is a bit, um, embarrassing, but the after makes it worth it.  I'll come out of hiding here and give you the real deal.  In just 30 days, 25 minutes a day...less than 3 hours a week...I lost 3 1/2 inches off my waist and reduced my body fat percentage down 5% and into an acceptable range.  Other places saw modest circumference reduction, but huge changes in composition.  I'm much more solid.



My before photos are a little embarrassing, but I really feel like you need to see them to understand.  I mean, I have visible abs (and if you  were to feel my abs, you can actually feel the ridges of the 6-pack just aching to come through).    You can see the outline of definition in my thigh muscles.  You can't tell in these photos, but I even have calf definition starting to peek through. The best part of the whole regimen, though, was I started to see changes in only 5 days.  No joke.  My waist melted away that first week, I think I lost 2 inches in that first week alone.  Freaking A-mazing.  If you decide to try this, please take photos and measurements of yourself before you start.  I totally had a freakout at the end of each week when the scale didn't move...and then I looked at my new photos compared to my first ones, and read measurements...and knew I was on the right track.

I did a little dance last night when I was finished, so excited for having completed the 30 days.  I'm  not quite ready for bikini season yet, but luckily I have time....and Jillian Michael's 6 Week 6 Pack on the counter waiting to be started!

3 comments:

Suzie said...

That's amazing, Amy! You look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if you think it would work primarily to build muscle? I can't lose any weight, but I am dreadfully out-of-shape, muscle-strength-wise (and, I'm embarrassed to admit, flexibility-wise).

Of course, I landed here by following your link to the homemade oreos!

ASusan

Amy said...

@ASusan: Yes, I think so. I only lost a couple of pounds, but got so, so much stronger! I think that what I did, primarily, was build muscle. :) I feel a-mazing now!

@Suz: Thanks! :)